Bravo Sports Club

From Heaven To Earth In 36 Minutes


It has been a roller-coaster ride for Bravo in 2013. They had a discouraging start to the new season with no wins in their first four games. Bravo then became unbeatable for the next three games with two wins and a tie. Last Sunday at Megaice, Kowloon Bay, Bravo looked to close out the year on a high note. Their opponents, AIH, were the hot favourites as no teams in the Novice Division were able to beat them so far this season.

AIH’s squad included 5 of top 10 scorers in the division. They also have the best goalie whose goals against was a ridiculous 0.667. With such a deep squad, only 2nd-placed Merit were able to tie AIH in regulation thus far this season. Merit eventually lost in shootouts.

Even so, confident in the Bravo locker room was high. Coming fresh off an unbelievable upset tie against Merit the week before, Bravo started this game with an aggressive play-style and took AIH by surprise.

Forward John Ng started the scoring for Bravo with a slap shot from the blue line. Less than a minute later, the arena exploded into cheers and roars as Bravo extended the lead to 2-0. Ambrose Lee redirected a wonderful shot from Michael “The Gladiator” Shoong past a shocked Calvin Yu. Perhaps no one was as shocked as AIH manager Jeremy Lui because no team has ever gained a two-goal lead over his team this season.

However, the joyous moments for Bravo was very short-lived when Lui managed to quickly regroup his players after Bravo’s second goal. AIH forward Jacky Wu answered Lui’s call and he scored his 4th goal of the season, again, less than one minute after Ambrose Lee’s goal.

Bravo players did not help themselves as forward Robert Wong received a penalty for elbowing 2 minutes later. AIH scored the game-tying goal in the subsequent power play. AIH would score the go-ahead goal in a wild 1st period when veteran defenseman William Yu fired a tape to tape pass to Eiji Inohara waiting near the far post, and Inohara one-timed the puck past a sprawling Antony “Lamo” Chan.

At the first intermission, Bravo player-manager Scott Yang finally had the chance to change his team’s game plans and the team managed to fend cool down the flaming AIH team. No teams were able to score in the second period and the score remained 3-2.

Midway through the third period, the referees had enough of The Gladiator’s rough play-style and sent him to the penalty box for tripping. AIH quickly capitalized on the opportunity and added the much needed insurance goal. AIH went on to win the game 4-2 and ended Bravo’s Cinderella ride.

During a post-game interview, Bravo captain Murphy Cheung said he was “happy about the game because being able to score two goals against AIH was already a great achievement.” AIH manager Jeremy Lui added, “Bravo really really shocked our whole team. They played really well and the game could have gone either way.”

Despite the scare, AIH would remain undefeated in the division. Bravo and WIHO both failed to gain any points in standings and they are still 3rd and 4th in standings respectively, separated only by 1 point.

Bravo finished the year with 2 wins, 4 losses, and 2 ties. Their will play the divisional opening game of 2014 against WIHO at 8:15pm, 5th January, 2014.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

%d bloggers like this: